Welcoming Congregation Committee
Follen is a Welcoming Congregation, which means we wholeheartedly welcome the presence and participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
Both in our congregation and in the wider community this church seeks to heal the emotional and spiritual harm done to LGBTQ people and their families, to share the blessings of loving and being loved in a religious community, and to be advocates for justice.
WCC leads, coordinates, and supports this ministry at Follen, encouraging us all to recognize that LGBTQ people, as well as their friends and families, are of many racial and ethnic identities, social classes, abilities, and ages. In other words, we are all just like everyone else: both uniquely different from each other, and yet just the same!
Want to think more about this? Here are some short readings and videos for you.
- Click here for one family’s story, and here for another.
- And here’s a video where some transgender children talk about their lives.
- This is a thoughtful reflection on what is “real,” and this on the complexity of our identities. And some faith-related thoughts are here.
- For those of you who like to listen, from StoryCorps, here’s a beautiful story.
- Want some help with language? Try this.
We love to receive mail! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And here are some more LGBTQ resources:
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
- Hispanic Black Gay Coalition
- Bisexual Resource Center
- Asexual Visibility & Education Network
- Mass Transgender Political Coalition
- Trans Lifeline (hotline: 877-565-8860)
- Class Matters
- Equality Network
- Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders
- Boston Alliance of LGBTQ Youth
- The Borum (open health care)
- Justice Resource Institute