Social Justice Action Team
[May] this church never be desecrated by intolerance, or bigotry, or party spirit; more especially its doors might never be closed against any one, who would plead in it the cause of oppressed humanity; within its walls all unjust and cruel distinctions might cease, and [there] all men might meet as brethren. – Charles Follen
At Follen we therefore commit ourselves to justice, service, and an increased awareness of the interdependent web of all existence through thoughtful, compassionate, and courageous action at Follen and in the wider community.
- Works to educate ourselves about systemic racism and to dismantle white supremacy culture. Read our 2017 anti-racism resolution
- Participates in the Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry in Roxbury to support its many programs.
- Works on gun violence prevention by supporting the annual Mother’s Day Walk for Peace in Boston.
- Lends money to poor people all over the world through Kiva crowdfunded microloans.
- Raises money and food to assist local organizations serving food-insecure populations.
- Helps its members to build a greener congregation and a greener world.
- Actively works for the rights of LGBTQ+ people.
- Collects and distributes books for immigrant children in Chelsea.
- Supports its Partner Church in Transylvania through scholarships and other programs.
- Works to ensure that due process and equal protection of the law applies to every person, regardless of immigration status, and is supporting a family recently evacuated from Afghanistan
Follow the links at left to learn more about how Follenites put their faith in action.
Our social justice programs are managed and led by the Social Justice Action Team (SJAT) which is a council consisting of leaders of Follen’s social justice programs and the congregation at large. Our work and responsibilities are defined by our charter. If you are interested in joining the SJAT or simply want to learn more about its programs, contact Chair Paul Rubin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
New Social Justice Actions