This month’s social justice action theme challenges us to learn more about mass incarceration — and make a difference for prisoners nearby. You can participate in several ways:
Coffee Hours, Sundays October 16 and 23, Follen Library
Via Concord Prison Outreach we will make holiday cards for our incarcerated neighbors (according to specific instructions we’ll provide, along with paper, stamps, paint, markers, etc.). Please join us. According to CPO, these cards are often the only ones the men will get.
CPO also creates holiday gift bags for the inmates. They collect specific items and then in December, they combine them into bags according to the prison’s specific rules. Please bring these items only, in whatever various amounts are convenient:
- 4-5 oz. bars of deodorant soap
- 5.8 – 6 oz. tubes of toothpaste
- Pads of white paper (6” x 9” or 5” x 8”, 100 pages, no wire)
- boxes of white envelopes (6 3/4 – 6 1/2” x 3 5/8”)
- pairs of new white crew socks — 5 inches of ribbing or less (no tube socks, knee-highs or “tennis socks”)
- 12 -15 oz. plastic bottles of shampoo
Questions? Contact DCE Susanne.
Visit the Concord Prison Restaurant
Also, SJAT members are organizing several small trips to eat lunch at Concord’s Prison Restaurant. Sign up to car pool with a few other folks at Coffee Hour on October 16 and 23.
For more information see NPR’s “Prison Meal Deal: Where the Staff Serves Lunch . . . And Time”