FUUY has voted to participate in an amazing opportunity called City Reach.
On May 12-13, our youth will have the opportunity to learn first-hand about homelessness from people who have experienced it. During the 20-hour session, participants join CityReach staff in street ministry and offer hospitality, food and clothing. This is followed by times of sharing and reflection.
This overnight urban outreach program started in 1996 for youth (with accompanying adults), from churches of any denomination and is operated by Boston’s Common Cathedral.
As part of our participation we are required to bring a number of items for donation — principally personal and clothing items for adults, including:
- Backpacks, tote bags, fanny packs, and carry-on-sized suitcases with wheels;
- White socks
- New underwear, primarily for men
- Sleeping bags & blankets
- Jackets and pants, ponchos, and raincoats
- Sweat shirts and sweat pants
- Sweaters, T-shirts and Long-sleeve shirts
- Jeans, khakis and other casual pants
- Waterproof boots, comfortable shoes, and sneakers
- Hats, waterproof gloves, coats
We will have two collection bins out for these donations during the week and next weekend – in the front vestibule of the church and at the side entrance. Please use this early spring time to clean your closets and drawers, and donate these items for a very good cause. Thank you for your support of FUUY’s engagement with the homeless and mentally ill population of Boston through CityReach.
In addition to clothing/personal items, we also need to bring:
- 1 large size can of coffee
- 1 tub of hot chocolate mix with NO marshmallows (the kind to which water is added – about the same size as a large can of coffee – not individual packets!)
- 1 package of extra-large (60 gal) garbage bags
- Approximately 100 hot cups
- 100 cold cups
- 1 roll of paper towels, one sponge, dish soap
- 100 sandwich bags
- Plastic/paper/shopping bags for guests to carry away the clothes they receive