Members of our FUUY (Follen UU Youth) group and Coming of Age Class will be heading to the Boston Common to learn and serve through the CityReach program of the Common Cathedral in early December. CityReach is an outdoor church for people experiencing poverty and homelessness. You can learn more about CityReach here. They need our help with collecting items for distribution for poor and unhoused people in the Boston area.
Please bring your donations to the Community Center foyer at church prior to December 1; look for the huge box that is marked “CityReach Donations”. Note for 2022: CityReach asks that we focus on XL and bigger Men’s clothing, and limit donations of women’s clothing (and XL- XXL only) NO children’s clothing! Please pre-sort and label your bags of donations as to contents as much as possible (eg. “Men’s T-shirts” or “Sweatshirts”)
We are seeking the following NEW or USED CLOTHING & ITEMS:
- Sweat shirts and sweat pants (especially hooded sweatshirts)
- Long-sleeve shirts
- Jeans, khakis and other casual pants (80% for men)
- Waterproof boots, comfortable shoes, and sneakers
- Hats, waterproof gloves, coats
- All kinds of carrying cases such as backpacks, tote bags, fanny packs, small suitcases with wheels (used and in good condition). Backpacks are in special demand.
We are also accepting NEW or unused items, including:
- Travel-size toiletries such as soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, Chapstick, toothpaste, and shaving cream in small sizes, as well as tooth brushes and disposable razors, and tampons (no aftershave or mouthwash containing alcohol).
- New white socks (there can never be too many of these). Please do not bring old socks
- Women’s new underwear and bras in all sizes and styles.These are in high demand.
- New underwear (again, there can never be too many and be sure to bring 80% of the underwear for men).
Please do not bring old underwear.
Please limit women’s clothes and DO NOT bring children’s clothes, dress clothes, slippers, bathrobes, pajamas or out-of-season clothing.
Please take time to pack and label all of these items into separate bags by category so they are easy to separate for the give-away event where our youth will be staffing tables.
Thanks so much for helping our teens put their faith into action!
Photos from past work with City Reach