Our Whole Lives (OWL)
Imagine sexuality education for adolescents that is grounded in acceptance, justice, and right relationship; that seeks to affirm the whole person, just as they are, no matter who they choose to love or how they identify or express themselves in gender; that nurtures spiritual depth, values congruent with participants’ religious beliefs and the skills, attitudes, and knowledge to live out those values. Imagine OWL!
We are proud to offer Our Whole Lives (OWL) the nationally renowned human sexuality program developed in collaboration by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Here at Follen Church, OWL is offered annually to children of church members who are entering eighth grade. Due to the Covid 19 pandemic, OWL was put on hold for a year so for 2021-22, Follen will be offering OWL to 8th AND 9th graders. We are uncertain of the class capacity at this time, but anticipate that we may be able to open enrollment to Follen friends in the community. Please recognize that our Follen members’ children will be given first priority if space is limited.
Parents are required to participate in an in-depth orientation each year prior to their child’s enrollment in the program. That orientation will be held on September 26, 2021.
READY TO REGISTER NOW?
OWL. helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, OWL provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but helps participants to clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality.
At Follen, Our Whole Lives includes:
- Sexuality and Our Faith, a religious component for Unitarian Universalist settings.
- Up-to-date information and honest, age-appropriate answers to all participants’ questions
- Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
- Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
- Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
- Acceptance of diversity
- Encouragement to act for justice
- Parent orientation programs that affirm parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
Follen Church OWL Program 2021-22
Who? Follen 8-9th Graders are welcome to participate. If there is space available, we will open up to community members, especially those with Follen friends in the class.
Where? Follen Church, 755 Massachusetts Ave, Lexington, MA
When? Sunday mornings, 10am-12pm, beginning October 24, 2021