January 19, 6-8pm, Follen Community Center
The new Adult Programs Task Force announces the first in a new series of monthly congregation-wide programs.
Every third Thursday this Spring, we’ll gather at 6pm for a communal meal and a blessing, led by Rev. Claire. At 6:45, we’ll follow up with an hour-long program featuring guest speakers and social, small-group activities on a variety of themes — God and spirituality, music and singing, climate change, and anti-racism work.
What We Talk About When We Talk About God
For our debut event on Thursday, January 19, we’ll enjoy lasagne, mac-and-cheese, and salad together. Then we’ll tackle the topic of God, or “What We Talk About When We Talk About God,” to borrow Rob Bell’s compelling title.
Rev. Claire Feingold Thoryn will moderate a diverse panel of experts, including
- Celene Ibrahim (left) Muslim Chaplain at Tufts
- Alex Bromley (center), an atheist and current Chair of Follen’s Program Council, and
- Parisa Parsa (right) UU minister and Executive Director of Essential Partners
We’ll explore questions like:
- What does “God” mean to you?
- When did you first start on this path of belief? Have you changed faith identities?
- Why do you think bad things happen to good people?
- And (maybe more pertinent) Why do good things happen to bad people?
We’ll also break into small-group discussions and get to know the other folks at our tables.
Families welcome. Childcare provided, if you request it via Rev. Susanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.